Sunday, 31 May 2015

The Wanderer Chronicles- Pune

Descending from the sky, an absurd green and brown patchwork of promises is what forms the city of Pune. As I stepped out of the plane, I was met by still, humid air, neither stifling nor overwhelming. It was like a warm embrace of home. Waves of an unheard tongue, sprays of unknown phrases in a sea of unfamiliar faces, I walked into Pune. My purpose for coming to Pune was a college interview. Less than satisfactory, unfortunately however, I decided that in the few hours I had to spare I would eat my way through the city.  With my mother, a vegetarian, my only companion, I was forced to be selective.
  We went first to Malaka Spice at Pheonix Mall. An inspired South-East Asian restaurant that plays a wondrous melody of tantalizing flavours on your tongue. The dish that really stole my heart was the Spicy Chicken in Beetal Leaves. Minced chicken, spiced perfectly, not overpowering yet just enough to arouse your tongue, wrapped in a Beetal or pan leaf which had a crunchy bite and a bitter after-taste. The waiter quite helpfully suggested that I try this dish with their sweet and spicy sauce, Smart advice that was! The sweet sauce complemented the spice of the chicken and the bitterness of the leaf.
 After my interview, the professors suggested a few local specialties I could try in the few hours I had. Juice World, a small Dhaba with an open seating had the alleged specialty of fresh Strawberries with cream. On MG Road also called Eat Street, I made my way into this hole in the wall, also satiating my mother's enthusiasm for street food. We ate the tempting Pao Bhaji openly made in a massive handi. True to its name, it had an incredible variety of fresh fruit juices. Having stuck with the classic Orange Juice, I was not disappointed. My mother, on the other hand enjoyed a frothy Alphonso mango milk shake. Alphonsos are a Maharashtran specialty and we were in season.
Unfortunately, strawberries were not. This was compensated by the an amazing Aplhonso with ice cream and sweet, lightly whipped cream. The characteristically mildly sour and sweet mango had a bite to it that complemented the varied but well married textures of whipped cream and cold, smooth mango ice cream.
  We then headed to Kayani's Bakery further on the same street famed for its biscuits. Just how popular, we found put as soon as we reached. There were about a few dozen people crammed into the sizeable bakery. We departed sadly, empty handed as we were nearing our deadline. Having bought the indigenous Lakshmi Narayan Chiwda, we had to head back.
  Another place I missed was Wholly Crepes which was on the other side of town, tugging at my heart strings for it was rumoured to have the most divine chocolate mousse. With the promise of next time, this greedy wanderer headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment